"The world is but a canvas to the imagination." -HDT

Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Bread Boy

My life has been crashing down around me recently and I've felt that there's been no hope for anything anymore.  God has been sending me little messages that literally say "do not worry."
The other day I bought a ring that says:
Phil 4:6 -Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  
(because we all know that I have a big worry problem, I had to purchase it.)
When I got home that night, I had an email from K-love, a Christian radio station. The email contained the daily Bible verse and it happened to be Phil 4:6. Talk about God moment, first one I've had in awhile.  Along with this, I've had texts from MB that just says "stop worrying", emails from Dayspring store advertising merchandise and stories about worry, and over 15 books from Oma about healing and anxiety. 
Although, all these signs kept popping up,  I still went into work rather upset yesterday.  I just recently decided to change my major, my health is a rollercoaster, Zach is lost in a pit of depression, I still haven't heard from Nate (although my brother has, but that's another story, one which indicates that all is well between us and I should not worry, although I do it anyway,) and MB was acting strange. I felt things were disjointed and I couldn't get back into the groove of life. The anxiety had taken over all my thoughts and I had lost sight of my trust in God. That was until a boy about 12 came up to me and asked me to show him where to get the white bread. I took him to isle 11 and pointed out where he can find what he needed.  A few minutes later he came through my line ready to check out. Our conversation went something like this: 
Me: I hope you found what your mother wanted. 
Boy: Yes, ma'am. This is exactly what she needed, thank you so much for your help.
Me: Well, that's what I'm here for, to help kids like you find their groceries. (I then handed him his change)
Boy: Thank you so much ma'am. I'll pray for you and hope you have a blessed day! 
Me: You have no idea how much it means to me to hear a kid your age say that. 
Boy: Well, ma'am, I'm a Christian, I'm not ashamed of my faith and I think everyone should know that Jesus loves them and so do I. That's what my faith is all about. 
Me: You truly have made my day so much better.  I want you to know that I'm a Christian too and what you just told me has given me hope again. Thank you so much.


When the boy walked away with his bread,  I turned around and knelt down beside my register with tears streaming down my face.  This was the hope I needed, the messenger that God sent to me to tell me that He loved me and was going to take care of me.  A little boy and his bread, as simple as one little kid can be, he was the one, the one who guided me back to the light. Kiddo, thank you for that, for being honest with your faith.  


"How can I love, without grace?
Shine a light on Your face,
If you're real, then show me now,
Who you are" 

-Glass Pear

4 comments:

Annah said...

Out of curiosity, what did you change your major to?

Anya said...

Bachelor of Arts in English and writing with a teaching a license and a secondary in bassoon. It's a mouthful haha

Zachary Cummings said...

I am not in a depression thank you very much :,-(

Anya said...

haha, oh Zach that's just your despair talking, believe me, I'm in denial as well :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails